The bread is so soft, it is pretty amazing how the bun can still keep its shape! I love love love this dough!
The custard filling is actually filling used for cream puffs. The fancy name is creme patisserie. Some call it pastry cream. I know this as custard, as taught by my mother who loves custard puffs. I can’t find the original site I got the recipe from. 😛
- 250ml full fat milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 37.5 grams caster sugar
- 12.5 grams all-purpose flour
- 10 grams corn flour
- Heat milk and vanilla extract in a saucepan until the mixture boils. Let it simmer gently for 5 minutes before turning off the heat and set aside for 30 seconds.
- While the milk mixture is heating, whisk egg yolks and caster sugar in a medium bowl until egg yolk mixture turns pale yellow. Add in both flour and whisk well to combine.
- 30 seconds after the heat is turned off, pour the milk slowly into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Once everything is combined, pour the mixture back into the saucepan over a low to medium flame. Whisk constantly for a minute or two, until mixture thickens considerably.
- Scoop the custard into a bowl and sprinkle some caster sugar on top to prevent drying. I also used a cling wrap to cover the custard, making sure the wrap touches the surface of the custard.
The bread dough weighs about 496 grams in total. I used 240 grams (6 x 40 grams) for the custard buns and the rest for the cinnamon rolls. I brushed the top of each custard bun with softened butter before baking.
For the cinnamon roll, I rolled out the remaining dough into a rectangle around 30cm by 15cm. Then I rolled it up tightly from the shorter side to make thicker rolls. For the fillings, I used around 25 grams of softened unsalted butter and 2 1/2 tbsp of vanilla sugar mixed with 1/2 tbsp of ground cinnamon.
Once out of the oven, I brushed both custard buns and cinnamon rolls with melted butter.
As always, these buns are literally effortless due to the fact that all the kneading is done by machine. Only the shaping part requires some patience and skills and I still have lots more to improve on bread shaping. My bread buns are never as round as I like and my cinnamon rolls have plenty of gaps! Tastewise both are good. Soft fluffy bun with sweet fillings – how can it not be good? 😀
I overfilled the custard buns as I was trying hard to finish up all the custard and the buns explode when you bite into them. Haha. My latest creation: the exploding custard bun!