This pie is a ovo lacto vegetarian friendly pie. I made this pie for a close vegetarian friend.
The crust is once again pate brisee from Joanne Chang of Flour Bakery. I sourced it from The Kitchn. For my own reference, I reproduce the recipe below:
- 245 grams all-purpose flour
- 228 grams unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 egg yolks
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, place flour, salt and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and milk.
- Turn on the stand mixer on lowest speed and mix for a minute.
- Scatter the butter on top of the flour and mix for about a minute until the flour turns slightly yellow.
- Add in egg yolks and milk all at once and mix for 30 seconds.
- Pour the contents onto the counter. Using your hands, make a high mound. The mixture will contain big pieces of butter. Using the heel of your hand, press down and smear the butter, then scrape it all together and keep repeating until it forms a pliable dough.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours at least.
Mushroom Potato filling
- 8 medium russet potatoes, cubed
- 15 pieces medium white button mushrooms
- 20 pieces brown swiss button mushrooms
- 6 pieces portobello mushrooms
- 5 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce
- 5 tablespoons soya sauce
- a dash of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 slices (1cm each) of ginger, de-skinned and bashed lightly with the back of the knife
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Boil the potatoes in a medium pot until almost cooked. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot on medium heat, place butter and once it melts, put in all the mushrooms and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add oyster sauce, soya sauce, sesame oil, salt and pepper and stir-fry for 15 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and ginger slices and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and mix well.
- Turn on high heat and boil until liquid almost gone.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Let it cool completely before filling.
To assemble, divide the dough into two and roll 1/2 of the dough on a floured board to about 1/2 cm thickness. Cut the dough using a round cutter with 8cm diameter. I get about 9-10 pieces. Repeat with the other half of the dough. Take the cut round dough and press it lightly into an aluminium mould. Pierce the bottom a few times with a fork.
Lightly coat the edges of the dough with beaten egg and fill with mushroom potato filling. Cover with another piece of dough and lightly press at the edges to seal. Cut an ‘X’ at the top of the pie with a knife and use a fork to press patterns and fully seal the edges.
Brush with beaten egg and bake in a 170 degrees C oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
Buttery flaky pastry combined with tasty mushrooms and potato…nice!