The last cake containing yuzu was made with the wrong yuzu powder. I had bought a Yuzu powder from Medi-Ya supermarket, only to discover later that it likely contained pepper.
This time round, I made using yuzu powder I bought from Amazon Japan. This powder is much more fine and the smell of yuzu is so refreshing!
I adapted the recipe from Travelling Foodies. I could not follow completely since I did not have any yuzu confiture. I also had only 70ml of yuzu juice which I bought from Medi-Ya supermarket.
The amount of sugar was increased, but not enough. The cake turned out soft, slightly moist, tangy and bland. 😦
Yuzu Chiffon Cake
Egg yolk mixture
- 5 egg yolks
- 75ml corn oil
- 70ml yuzu juice
65mlmilk (suggest 55ml would be enough)
- 120 grams plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp yuzu powder
Egg white mixture
- 5 egg whites
75 gramscaster sugar (Please increase to 90~100 grams)
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celcius.
- Sift flour, baking powder and yuzu powder into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks until creamy. Gradually add corn oil and whisk until combined.
- Add yuzu juice and milk. Whisk until combined.
- Add flour mixture and whisk until combined.
- Beat egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks. Fold to egg yolk mixture in 3 additions.
- Pour into a 21cm chiffon cake tin and smoothen the top. Tap on the counter a few times to get rid of large air bubbles.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. If the top browns too quickly, cover with aluminum foil.
- Remove cake from oven and invert on a cooling rack or bottle to cool. Let cool completely before cutting.