Another cake that failed to rise fully. 😦
This recipe is from Yochana’s cake delights. I up-sized the recipe to increase the crème fraîche to 200 grams. That is probably why you never mess with recipes from an expert. Take a look at her wonderful cake! Compared with mine..sigh..
Crème fraîche chocolate cake (use at your own risk)
- 150 grams unsalted butter
- 115 grams sugar
- 130 grams eggs, lightly beaten
- 170 grams cake flour
- 60 grams cocoa powder
- rounded 1/4 tsp baking soda
- rounded 1/4 tsp salt
- 200 grams crème fraîche
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 grams egg white
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 115 grams sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line and grease a 9 inch round pan.
- Sift cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add in the eggs, stopping to scrape down the sides and bottom once or twice.
- Add in vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add in dry ingredients in 3 batches, alternating with crème fraîche, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk egg white with cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually add sugar until soft peaks stage.
- Fold in meringue into main batter in 3 batches.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Smooth the surface with a rubber spatula. Rap a few times on the counter to get rid of large air bubbles.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely before slicing.
The original recipe used a 9 inch round pan. I used a 9 x 3 inch round pan despite the up-size. I lined the sides of the pan with some parchment sticking 1.5 inches above the pan, in case the cake rises too much. Hahahaha. In the end, the cake didn’t rise above 3/4 of the pan. You can see the dense bottom. Odd enough, the dense part is not hard. It is quite soft in texture. Though the cake didn’t rise much, the taste is fantastic. With crème fraîche in the cake, it will definitely taste good. 😛