The marvelous thing about having milk kefir grains is, you’ll never have to buy yogurt, sour cream or buttermilk again. The grains will grow and with proper care, will last infinitely.
This recipe is an adaptation of the very popular One Bowl Chocolate Cake III on allrecipes.com.
Chocolate Olive Oil Kefir Cake
- 220 grams all-purpose flour
- 65 grams cocoa powder (I used 80 grams)
- 400 grams castor sugar (I used 170 grams)
- 30 grams dark muscovado sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 250 ml milk kefir, room temperature
- 120 ml olive oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract (I used 1 tbsp)
- 235 ml boiling water
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175 C. Grease a 9 inch square pan.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add in eggs, kefir, olive oil and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Add coffee granules into boiling water. Pour into batter and whisk to combine.
- Add in chocolate chips if desired.
- Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes until a skewer in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
The batter is thin, as mentioned in the reviews given in the original recipe. Thus, any chocolate chips you add in will invariably sink to the bottom. Don’t fret about that. Just enjoy the soft, moist chocolaty cake. 🙂