An awesome recipe to use up over-ripe bananas! This really simple, easy and delicious steamed cake is perfect for breakfast or tea.
Steamed banana cake (adapted from Everybody Eats Well in Flanders)
- 4 eggs
- 130 grams castor sugar
- 150 grams butter, melted
- 380 grams bananas, mashed
- 250 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Prepare a steamer with enough water to boil for 45 minutes.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl.
- Beat eggs with sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Drizzle melted butter into the egg mixture and mix well with a spatula.
- Add in mashed bananas and mix well with a spatula.
- Start boiling water in the steamer.
- Fold in dry ingredients in 3 parts.
- Scoop batter into paper cups. Steam over high heat for 25-30 minutes. When done, a skewer inserted in the cake will come out clean.
Marvelously soft, moist and fragrant banana cake. 1 piece is never enough. 😛