I’ve always felt chocolate went very very well with bananas. Both somehow enhance the taste of each other. It is a food marriage that causes taste buds to go WOW.
This amazing recipe is from Smitten Kitchen. One word to describe her. Genius.
Double Chocolate Banana Loaf (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
- 115 grams unsalted butter, melted
- 120 grams dark muscovado sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large bananas, mashed (I used 4 medium ones)
- 125 grams all-purpose flour
- 60 grams Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 170 grams dark chocolate chips (I used 70% cocoa)
- Grease a 9 x 5 inches loaf pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk butter into the mashed banana. Add in egg, vanilla extract, sugar and whisk until combined.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add in chocolate chips. Using a rubber spatula, mix everything until just combined. It will be lumpy. Do not over-mix.
- Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean (unless you hit a chocolate chip; the probability of that happening is very high!)
- Let cool in pan on wire rack before slicing and serving.
The texture is moist and extremely chocolaty. There is a slight taste of bananas on the first bite. The cake seems slightly crumbly during slicing, perhaps due to the copious amount of chocolate chips added. I just scraped up the crumbs and fed myself with those. Happy happy day…