This recipe is an adaptation from Corner Cafe, due to a need to use up sourdough discard.
Sourdough sugar cheese bun
- 200 grams strong white bread flour
- 150 grams unbleached cake flour
- 300 grams 100% hydration sourdough discard (less than 5 days old)
- 15 grams milk powder
- 50 grams caster sugar
- 6 grams salt
- 3 grams instant yeast
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 75 grams water
- 50 grams unsalted butter, softened
- Coarse sugar
- Laughing cow cheese cubes
- Milk for glazing
- Mix all ingredients except butter into a mixing bowl. Knead until a soft dough forms (medium gluten development).
- Add butter and knead until window pane stage.
- Proof in a lightly greased bowl for 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Tip dough onto a lightly floured counter and knead lightly to remove gas.
- Divide into 12 portions. Roll into a ball and rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape dough as per your desire. Proof on a lightly greased baking tray for 60 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 190 C.
- Glaze with milk and sprinkle sugar. Score bun and place cheese cubes on the bun.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until light brown in color.
These buns are delicious! Soft and light with a wheat fragrance and a light crunch from the coarse sugar.