A very lovely fragrant buttery cake that keeps you going back for seconds and thirds and fourths etc etc.
Orange butter cake (adapted from Bakericious)
- 250 grams unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 180 grams caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- zest from 2 large oranges
- 250 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp grand marnier
- 100 ml fresh orange juice
- Line and grease a 8 inch square pan. Preheat oven to 160 C.
- Rub orange zest into caster sugar.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Set aside.
- With a mixer using the paddle attachment, beat butter, salt and sugar until light and pale.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, making sure each egg is combined well before adding the next.
- Add sifted dry ingredients all at once into butter mixture. Roughly combine with a rubber spatula.
- Add grand marnier. Mix for a minute.
- Gradually add orange juice, folding as you add.
- Fold well until no large pockets of flour remain.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing and placing the cake (still with parchment paper attached) on a cooling rack.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
A good butter cake really makes my day. 🙂